Montrachet at higher abvs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsDC

Reaction score
I have a pretty high octane apple-wine going at the moment and I've noticed that the Montrachet has really started to get stuck once it was around 9.8% abv or so. OG was 1.084 and it has stalled around 1.010/1.009. It still tastes sweet. I know its tolerance is around 13% so I was hoping to push that.

Should I repitch with Montrachet or repitch with a Champagne yeast that I know can tolerate over 15%? This is only a 1 gallon batch so I'm willing to take some risks and not really worried about wasted $.

Anytime I do a batch with Montrachet, I can get the FG down to under 1.000. I normally brew at 72 degrees. What temp are you at? It may just need more time. Mine usually takes at least 2-3 weeks to get there.

Good to hear.

I'm at around 72, maybe a little cooler.

What are your typical OGs when you get it down that low?

James

I've had no problems with Montrachet in batches of EdWort's Apfelwein, though my OG values were not as high, typically 1.076 or so. But it would ferment down to about .998 after a couple months in the carboy--over 10% ABV. I did add yeast nutrient and some yeast energizer to avoid rhino farts.

I had no problem hitting ~12%, OG was about 1.085 - 1.090. Fermented at 60-65 °F to 1.000-0.995 SG. Lalvin EC-1118 tasted better to me though, was about as fast, and can tolerate 18%.

Back