Montmorency vs Black/Sweet Cherries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRob

Reaction score
I see a lot of people talking about sweet cherries, extracts purees, etc. Wondering if it's a regional thing but I've always found that the eating varieties lacked the flavour punch of the sour cherry varieties. When I make pies or jams I tend to favour sour cherries because cooking sweet cherries seems to steal away all their subtle cherry flavour, I would assume secondary fermentation would accomplish a similar feat.

I've been intrigued of late by the idea of a cherry-wheat beer, and seeing that it's coming into cherry season in the Niagara region it's time to ask the question: is there a special reason folks focus on sweet cherry? Do sour cherries spoil the balance of a beer by bringing too much acidity? Lack of availability?

If there's a reason that they aren't used, I'm all for learning from the mis-steps of others, but if there's no reason not to, I think I might just give it a shot.

Just the fact that Montmorency was in the title made me click on this thread. I say go with it. Screw the sweet cherries and let the Mont's reign!

Everything I've read has said ONLY use tart cherry's (i.e. montmorency). From whay I've read, sweet cherries impart an overly sweet syrupy flavor.

Therefore, I only use tart cherries, and my cherry beers have turned out great.

I did a Cherry Blonde this spring - BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde racked onto 5.63 lbs of canned tart cherries for 2 weeks (6 x 15 oz cans of Kroger brand). I froze the cherries in some ziplock bags then let them thaw for a few days. Came out a little too tart for my taste. Next time I would either use a combination of tart and sweet cherries or just use less cherries. The beer also seemed to dry out due to the cherries.

Back