Month Old Lager Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate_e

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm planning on making my first Bock (Angel Wings from Brewing Classic Styles). I made a 3-step lager starter (1.75L per step) using WLP833. After the 3rd step, the flask went into the fridge on 3/1. Due to finishing my PhD, brewing got put on hold. Now that the dissertation is turned in, I have a little bit of time to brew.

My question is, will the yeast still be viable or should I just scrap it and make a new starter with a new vial? I was thinking about using the yeast in the fridge but make another 1.75L starter to get things going again, let to go to completion, then brew on Saturday. I don't have any prior experience with lager yeast so any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Well I'm no expert, but I'd say warm it back up to room temps, and drop it on your stir plate and step it up another 500ml with your dme, and then do that again after another 12 hours. I suspect you would be alright though if you have room to add more starter to your flask.

Back