Monster Mill 3 adjustment (MM3)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olie

Reaction score
Took my MM3 apart for a thorough cleaning and set the gap on the "front" (grain-exit) side for 0.038 (both sides, even).

Wanted to check that my crush looked reasonable. Here's some 2-row that I ran through to test.

Does that look about right?

Thoughts? Advice? Etc?

Thanks!

IMG_9201.jpg
IMG_9202.jpg

Heh, thanks. FWIW, this unit is about 1.5-2 yrs old, and I took the whole thing apart and used compressed air (tool -- tire-filler, not can) and a little baby-bottle brush to clean everything from every angle. It was a 30 min job.

Also, I have the [EDIT]Malt Muncher (MoreBeer)[/EDIT] motor driving it at 180rpm, as I couldn't get my drill to run slow without binding.

EDIT:
NOTE to Tobor 8thman -- high torque; low RPM.

Last edited:
Took my MM3 apart for a thorough cleaning and set the gap on the "front" (grain-exit) side for 0.038 (both sides, even).

Wanted to check that my crush looked reasonable. Here's some 2-row that I ran through to test.

Does that look about right?

Thoughts? Advice? Etc?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if you still have your mill and hopper disassembled. If you do, you might want to take the opportunity to setup multiple gaps and mark them by the adjusting knobs/bolts such as something like .35, .40, and .45. That way it will be a lot easier to change the gap size later when you want to. Maybe .30, .35, and .40 or in your case .33, .38 and .43.

Look great. I too clean my mill after every use otherwise the rollers will bind from the material on the sides. I too use a low torque motor to turn the mill. Have things setup so I can easily and quickly disassemble, disconnect the motor and clean.

Latest posts

Back