Monday Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
An experimental brew session, wherein the question is asked, "Can one do an all grain brew in between the time SWMBO leaves for work and gets home, while at the same time watching the kids who are inexplicably out of school today, and fixing the fence that go blown down in the hurricane?"

Humboldt Hop Rod
(A 5.5 gallon batch for mere mortals)

10.5 lb. 2-row
4 lb rye malt
26 oz. munich malt
10 oz. dextrin malt
11 oz. wheat malt
8 oz. flaked wheat
1 oz. black patent malt

1.5 lb. amber candi/invert sugar

1 oz. columbus (60 mins)
1.5 oz. columbus (40 mins)
1 oz. centennial (30 mins)
.5 oz. centennial (10 mins)

10:10 Flame-on...mash water is heating up.
11:35 10 gal H20 to 195F (per keggle, 192 per digital at top)
11:40 5 gals drained to mash tun
11:50 after stirring well w/ new mash paddle, temp at 180F. I'll figure out thermal mass later.
12:05 water down to 169F (initial strike temp according to ProMash)...time to mash-in.
12:15 we're mashing at 154F...5 gals to 18 lbs grain...a little thick (1.11) but Dude said 154 to 155 and we're there, so I'm sticking with it.
12:50 decided to stir at mid-point cuz Palmer says so, temp was still 154 prior to stirring, 152 after, so decided to raise temp. Ended up lowering to 150 so decided to leave well enough alone.
2:15 Fixin to start sparging or lautering or whatever that is.
3:20 Flame-on...8 gallons of 1.053 wort (without the invert sugar added yet)
4:05 Invert sugar in, got hotbreak, first hop addition in.
5:05 Flame-off...problemo - expected to boil off 1.75 gallons, but barely boiled off a gallon so I've got almost 7 gallons in the pot instead of 6.25. I don't want to boil it any longer cuz I'm afraid it'll be too bitter, so I'll live with it and fix it next time.
5:20 Started wort chiller going
5:55 Wort to 80F, time to fill carboy and oxygenate...3 minutes.
6:20 Yeast is pitched...sample was 1.078 (shooting for 1.086), so I'm gonna have to start shooting for 7 gallons or so pre-boil, instead of the 8 I've been doing.

Dude said:
So how is it going?
Going OK so far...seems like it took a long time to heat the mash water, but I haven't killed any kids yet so that rates as a success at least. :D

Number One observation so far...OK, you guys are right. ProMash is indispensible for all grain. :eek:

El Pistolero said:

YES!!!!! :rockin:
headbang.gif
:rockin:
headbang.gif

I'm very jealous. I have a good head cold going, as well as having to go to work. :( Maybe I'll break out the bottle of Hop Rod I have for some sort of condolance. That is if I could taste anything right now because of the cold. :mad:

El Pistolero said:
An experimental brew session, wherein the question is asked, "Can one do an all grain brew in between the time SWMBO leaves for work and gets home, while at the same time watching the kids who are inexplicably out of school today, and fixing the fence that go blown down in the hurricane?"
8 hours and 10 minutes from flame-on to yeast pitched, so as long as SWMBO has a long commute we're OK there. I'm not sure I'd do this with the kids at home again tho, and a little work got done on the fence, but not much. Oh well, SWMBO will be pi$$ed, but there's 2 new cases of brew in the pipeline to help me deal with it. :)

Latest posts

Back