Mom sewed grain bag; I'mma skeered!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou2row

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time trying out my new grain bag my mom sewed up for me today. I showed her one I bought so she could see how they stitched it and what type thread. She just kept saying'" Oh, this will be easy. This is easy; it's just a pillow case." I told her to see how they double stitched and that they use stronger thread. I explained I am filling it with grain and it will be over 30 pounds wet and soaking in 200 degree water (I lied).

When I got them back she bragged how it only took fifteen minutes. She sewed it just like a pillow case. The way she acted, I know she didn't go get better thread.

I explained if it fails that the grain will fall back into the boiling wort and splash me with burning hot sticky liquid. She said it will be fine. I really regret making fun of her cooking and comments about her weight when growing up.

Please pray for me.

I sewed my own bag...not a clue what I was doing...I figured if sewing it once was good, twice was better, so I made one pass on zig-zag and one regular. I've done three batches with it so far with grain bills ranging from 11-13 lbs.

I have to imagine your mom did a better job than I did!

Well, it held up fine. Batch came out decent; hit OG, but short a half gallon. A Robert the Bruce clone that smelled pretty good. One of my favorite beers, so I'm hoping for it to be close to the original.

I guess Mom loves me after all.:eek:

Back