Moldy? Infected? Russian Imperial Stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Went to rack my Russian Imperial Stout from secondary to kegs for aging today and found some interesting growths.

Anybody know what I'm dealing with?

Should I keg it and drink this quick or do you think it will still be ok for aging?

photo%2B%2815%29.JPG

photo%2B%2816%29.JPG

It looks like a brett infection to me. When you do a secondary you want to be sure to use a carboy to minimize headspace, you want to fill the carboy up to the neck so there is basically no oxygen. Most of the bugs we generally don't want in our beers thrive on oxygen so when there is a large headspace an infection is more likely to happen.

if it tastes okay age at least a few bottles. you never know how the flavour will develop with something like this.

I have had growths like that on oxygen rich brett environments but only on starters not whole ferments. I'd say its safe to drink.

It actually tastes really good.

If I rack underneath the Brett, should it be alright to keg?

Wayfrae, thanks for your advice. I will definitely be sure to fill closer to the neck next time.

Yeah it should be fine to keg just be sure to clean the keg and beer lines really well when the keg kicks so that you don't get brett infections in your next batch you rack into that keg.

Latest posts

Back