Moldly Grain Steeping Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatoBaggins

Reaction score
Arrgh, I just found mold spots growing on my Nylon grain steeping bags!

I'm soaking them in bleach now. The little spots have all disappeared, but I'm really hesitant to use them again.

Do I use them, or do I buy new ones?

I always throw mine in the laundry, unless I put them in the top rack of the dishwasher and they come clean. I've never seen mold on mine, though. I wash them the same day I use them. I don't see why you can't get the mold off and then wash them and reuse. Unless they're really bad, then toss them. I'd give it a try anyway.

Im sure the bleach will take care of the mold. To be on the safe side, do what yooper does and send it through the wash or the dishwasher. Just make sure to rinse the bleach off thoroughly.

I noticed quite a few mould (mildew?) spots on my grain bag a month or two ago.
After this I ran it through the wash, dried it out in the sun, soaked it in sanitiser and dried it again.
I've made four batches since and the first two turned out fine (haven't tasted the rest yet, but I'm sure there'll be no problem with them.)

Dilute bleach is a mold killer & in quick time too. It is the main ingredient in those mold killing sprays for the bathroom/shower. I frequently use it to clean my rentals after a vacancy it does the job on mold just like germs.

Back