Mold, Yeast, or what in my barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeard

Reaction score
Hello homebrewtalk community,

So, about 2 weeks back I brewed a big ass 1.110 barleywine. I threw this behemoth on top of the Wyeast 1318 yeast cake from a 1.034 bitter, and it fermented extremely aggressively (blowoff + Fermcap S was barely able to contain the beast).

I didn't wash or treat the yeast cake in any way, so I may have overpitched, but now I'm worried that there may be something growing in my carboy! I snapped the attached pics this morning, and I definitely don't remember the weird white patches being on the beer two days ago when I checked on it last.

My first thought was mold, but I've also been told that our yeast buddies can behave in many weird ways, and thought that maybe I was just looking at a weird flocculation phenomenon.

I should also mention that it's been hot & humid here in the northeast lately, but I brew the beer in my basement and the temperature on the fermometer has been reading in the 72-74F range, which I realize is pretty high, but in the initial week of the fermentation I had the carboy in a water bath with a wet T-shirt wrap, which brought its temp down to 68F or so.

Anyway, the short of it is: is my beer infected?! Or is this a weird Wyeast 1318 London Ale yeast flocculation phenomenon?

yeast1.jpg

yeast2.jpg

That is normal. It's just yeast flocced against the side of the carboy. Happens all the time.

Back