Mold or pellicle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ojaason

Reaction score
Here's a picture of a kettle sour with added blueberries and vanilla beans. I must have introduced something else along with the frozen blueberries. My question is if this is a pellicle or should I be concerned with consuming it
20190405_150310.jpg

Here's a picture of a kettle sour with added blueberries and vanilla beans. I must have introduced something else along with the frozen blueberries. My question is if this is a pellicle or should I be concerned with consuming itView attachment 620643

if i remember right nothing can grow in beer that will make you sick. i think botulism is the only risk but that is solved with a boil. it looks super cool looks like modern art.

i looked it up. botulism can will grow in wort the longer it spends without fermenting and more oxygen the bigger the risk. makes me think the guys who no chill wort then start fermenting the next day are crazy.

Last edited:
if i remember right nothing can grow in beer that will make you sick. i think botulism is the only risk but that is solved with a boil. it looks super cool looks like modern art.

i looked it up. botulism can will grow in wort the longer it spends without fermenting and more oxygen the bigger the risk. makes me think the guys who no chill wort then start fermenting the next day are crazy.

Clostridium bacteria, including the botulinum species, are anaerobic, meaning they thrive in spaces without oxygen. They also require a relatively high pH. This is why they’re a threat in low-acid canned foods. An unsealed fermenter of sour wort is not a hospitable environment for botulism.

Here's a picture of a kettle sour with added blueberries and vanilla beans. I must have introduced something else along with the frozen blueberries. My question is if this is a pellicle or should I be concerned with consuming itView attachment 620643
The white is definitely a pellicle (not dangerous).

I don't see any mold in the photo, but that doesn't mean there isn't any. You need to look at the entire surface for mold.
Post a clear/non-blurry photo of the entire surface if you need help identifying it.

if i remember right nothing can grow in beer that will make you sick.
Mold is the exception.

Latest posts

Back