Mold on tubing, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpood

Reaction score
A few months ago, I left some odds and ends in my bottling bucket, which I had filled with water and PBW or Oxyclean, I can't remember which. It had tubing, a blow-off rig with tubing, my auto-siphon, a starter flask, that sort of thing, plus the foam stopper for the flask. Today I was finally cleaning up last night and found the foam stopper had black mold on it. I tossed it out, but I noticed dots of black mold here and there on other things, including tubing, plus some general slime.

I'm getting ready to bottle in the next day or two. I took the spigot and rubber gaskets out of the bottling bucket, and plan to clean and sanitize everything, as usual, but I've never had mold on my equipment before. I also looked at the tubing I had left soaking in my Star san bucket, and it has a white cloudy haze on it, but that rinses off. The mold seems to rinse off, too.

If I clean and sanitize everything, do you think my bottling process will be OK, or do you think I should buy a new bucket? New hoses for bottling and a new blow-off rig for my next batch? You can't be too careful, but ... can you be too careful? Many thanks!

Hard surfaces should be fine. Soft things should probably be replaced - tubes, gaskets etc. Of course, you can risk it and you might be fine, but I'd spend a couple bucks to be sure.

Yeah,true enough. I get my tubing from Lowe's or Home Depot. I found 5/16" ID tubing for auto siphons at Lowes on the bulk spools yesterday.

Back