Mold on oxygen stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boil it. That's what I do for mine between batches. Every 2 or 3 batches. Gets washed well with the O2 flowing in hot water after every use.

Another thing to do is not turn off the O2 till after you take the stone out of the wort and place it in hot water. Minimizes wort getting in perhaps.

1 minute boil kills most things though

I will start doing it every batch too, rather than every other batch. For sure it is a potential weak-link in the sanitary cold-side of the brewery.

I will start doing it every batch too, rather than every other batch. For sure it is a potential weak-link in the sanitary cold-side of the brewery.

Something about a device with millions of microscopic holes through it that gets me more than a bit nervous about infections. It just seems like the perfect breeding ground for bugs.

Interesting, I've never yet boiled mine. I also shut off the O2 before removing it from the fermenter. Haven't had any problems yet but I prefer to learn things to be prepped. What I do is sanitize it before use, then rinse off the stone immediately after use, then use the wand to stir it around in the StarSan in my sanitizing bucket. Then I let it air dry for a day or two. Then I put a plastic sandwich bag over the stone and use a twist tie to seal it up and keep dirt and dust out. Prior to next use I sanitize it again then use it. So far I've used it many times with no problem. But I'm guessing it's wise to boil it every once in a while?

Rev.

I have a small pressure cooker I use to sterilize things for freezing yeast. I throw my oxy stone in there on brew day and pressure cook it. No worries about anything that way.

You can boil it to sanitize it but i would wrap it in foil and throw it in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 or higher. Dry heat sterilization is your best bet unless you have a pressure cooker to "autoclave" it for 20 minutes.

I leave the pomp on after removing the stone from the wert and let it bubble in warm water for a few minutes. Then store it in a White Labs vial full of cheap vodka.

Back