Mold on outside of fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dierythmus

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a pumpkin ale in my fermentation chamber at 68 degrees for 2 weeks now. I checked on it last night, and there were clearly spots of mold on the outside of my plastic bucket. I took the bucket out of the chamber, took a peek inside, and all looked well.

Any chance that the beer is bad?

I'd say you're ok. I"ve had mold on the inside threads of my lid and I've never have had any issues. Just keep an eye on it but I think you're good.

Mold will grow where there is stagnant moisture. If your fermentation vessel is sealed up, no worries. It's a common problem in fermentation chambers. A fan might help. I have started using Calcium Chloride "Damp-RID" stuff to collect the moisture. I think a small bucket is a few dollars at Walmart, and you can reuse it if you want to dry it back out again.

When your beer is done and you've racked out of the fermentor, clean the outside of that thing with a mild bleach solution.

Latest posts

Back