Mold on Fruit Brett Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wernerherzog

Reaction score
Dose anyone have experience with mold on their fruit beers? I'm 2 months into my strawberry-rhubarb brett saison. The fruits formed a solid layer of chunks over the top which was clean at first. Now it seems to be growing mold over the top. Whatever the substance is, it's solid white with no discoloration, not black and green.

Is this potentially poisonous? Should I rack the beer off? Scrape the mold? Dump? I'm figuring this can't be that unusual for fruit beers. I don't want to dump in campden since I want the yeasts to stay active.

rhubarb1.JPG

rhubarb2.JPG

Its hard to tell from the photo, but that looks more like a pellicle than mold! Your fruit was probably contaminated with some sort of wild yeast. How does it smell? Fruity, plasticy, spicy, weird? I would let it ride for a while in the carboy then see how it tastes.

Fruit was cooked down for a long period of time to avoid adding any unknowns but I added naardenensis and ecy brux into secondary so it could easily be pellicle formation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks like a pellicle to me, Ive done a bunch of fruited Brett Saisons and this looks pretty standard. But the photos are not that clear so I could be wrong.

Back