Mold on carboy??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sully20331

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had mold spores form on the outside of their carboy(glass) and their brew hauler handles?
Hadn't opened the chest freezer in a few days so I'm assuming it was from condensation. Just wanted to be sure though. Any insight would be appreciated!

Has anyone ever had mold spores form on the outside of their carboy(glass) and their brew hauler handles?
Hadn't opened the chest freezer in a few days so I'm assuming it was from condensation. Just wanted to be sure though. Any insight would be appreciated!

I had this happen a few months ago. I didn't really notice it till I went to bottle the beer.
I washed the brew hauler on the sterile cycle in the washing machine. Scrubbed the outside of the carboy and shot it with Star San. Wiped out the inside of the chest freezer with a wet rag and applied Star San with a spray bottle in a fine mist then left it open to completely dry out.
I haven't seen a return of the mold with the current on going fermentation.

BTW: The beer I had in the chest freezer during the mold growth wasn't effected.

Condensation or spills while transferring. So long it's not got an avenue into the carboy, you're good.

As the previous poster said, just clean well and hit it with sanitizer after you transfer. You should be able to wash the carboy hauler in the washing machine or dishwasher. Any sanitizer will be fine for the outside, and I'd recommend bleach for that since it'll get at the mold much better than StarSan.

Digging this thread up just to share my own experience. I hadn't checked on my latest batch for maybe a week, and in that time, mold has grown in the fermentation chamber and even worked its way into the mouth of the carboy. The beer looks and smells OK, but I'm nervous as the universal carboy bung did not totally keep the mold out. I sprayed and wiped the mouth of the carboy with Star-San, and will now rack into the bottling bucket and proceed with bottling. Planning on testing bottles every few days to make sure there isn't any runaway carbing that could lead to bottle bombs.

Damn humid summer. Lesson learned -- going to clean the hell out of the fridge and carboy and cold crash the next batch after it hits FG.

Back