Mold in spiedel fermenter spigot - now cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwin

Reaction score
Was dumb/lazy and took a sample in my 60l spiedel and didn't flush the spigot. Has mold it in now. I flushed it with vodka and took some qripa to it but I'm sure there is more I can't get to.
Is enough scrubbing and vodka/star San gonna do it?
It has 11g in it and I have a shotty back so I don't want to move it full again if I can help and can't lift it to siphon (I pressure transfer to kegs).

Any opinions?

qripa = q-tips maybe?

You'll definitely want to make sure it is clean inside before running beer through it. Can you put some vodka in a cup or bag and immerse the whole spigot assembly somehow, and let it soak for a bit?

Also - how do you like using that thing? I've been on the fence about getting one for a while but hoping to pull the trigger some time soon.

Yea, qtips. Auto correct. ..
I have it oriented just past 9 o'clock so it is holding vodka just as it held beer before it molded
I guess my big question is will vodka kill the mold. Would bleach be better?

I really like it. I just got lazy. I usually spray it with starsan and cover with a tap boot but didn't have any starsan mixed when I pulled the sample and forgot about it

If I could trade it for the new square spiedels, I would. I think you could fit two of those side by side on the correct fridge.

anything that cant be boiled that had mold in it I would toss. but thats just me. Do they sell spare parts or can you fit a different spigot to it?

This is why its generally not recommended to use spigots for sampling

I've seen others review that poorly. I'm inclined to get a new solid cap and add a 3 piece ball valve to it

I'd get an Auto siphon and transfer the beer from the top. No need to clean till after it's empty.

It has 11g in it and I have a shotty back so I don't want to move it full again if I can help and can't lift it to siphon (I pressure transfer to kegs).

I'd get an Auto siphon and transfer the beer from the top. No need to clean till after it's empty.

I got the impression the fermenter is on the ground, so no place to siphon to. That was my first thought as well.

I know he doesn't want to move it. But, I'd get some help and move it to siphon. I wouldn't want it going through that spigot if it has mold on it.

Leaning that way too.
Cold crashing now
I'll get it as cold as possible for a week and really compact the cake.

Just got spoiled with the forced transfer. No worries about oxygen or biology

Back