Mold in my keezer. :( Is there a good way to prevent it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I recently converted an extra keezer in my basement to be temp controlled at a more moderat temp (50F +). I've moved my nitro tap overvto it, and it's been quite a pleasure drinking a nitro pour at a "cellar" temp. I've also been keeping some of my bottle stash in there.

The other day, I pulled a bottle and notice a faint brushing of white mold on top. Today, I went to pull a keg, and the top was speckled with the same mold.

Given the higher temp, it's definitely more moist in there than my kegorator. Is there anything I can do to keep the mold growth in check?

Large containers of desiccant like silica gel have worked for me. They can be "recharged" in an oven. You should be able to find them on Amazon.

A container of DampRid or something similar renewed periodically will do the trick. There are also electronic devices but you shouldn't need them unless the problem is severe.

Do you have a small fan circulating the air inside your keezer? I had a problem with mold until I added a small 120V muffin fan. Also- between batches of beer I now wipe the inside surfaces with a dilute bleach solution. (10%) be sure to wear some trash clothes when doing this. And start at the bottom, work your way up and out.
I've ruined some good clothes by not doing it right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back