Mold in Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I age spirits and wine in a small 3 Liter barrel. The most recent batch I aged had mold in it when I transferred it from the barrel. Is it safe, or do I need to pour it down the drain? What about the barrel? Do I need to discard it?

You're sure it's mold and not something else, like a pellicle?

Mold can produce toxins/carcinogens and it's allergenic.
Batches with mold should be dumped, and the barrel is a loss IMO.

Keep barrels full and protect from oxygen.

If I fill my barrel with StarSan or use a few doses of potassium metabisulfite, can it be salvaged?

If I fill my barrel with StarSan or use a few doses of potassium metabisulfite, can it be salvaged?
I’m no expert, but I think this depends on at least a couple factors. Is the possible mold growing on the wood, (mold can penetrate not just be on the surface)
and if you want to trust that you can eradicate it. Most barrels are charred inside giving a rough surface and many places for unwanted organisms to hide. You can sanitize it, but I don’t think you can sterilize it.
If you want to try, first fill it with very hot water. Close it up and let it sit until it cools, then add k-meta. Let it sit some more. Repeat until your water comes out clean.
Frankly, with mold I wouldn’t risk it. Invest in another barrel, rather than risking illness.

You're right. Just hoped someone had seen this before and knew a quick and easy cure.

What do I do with my next barrel so this doesn't happen again? I always filled it with hot water between batches. Should I include a campden tablet?

The ideal storage solution: Cool water, 2 g/L potassium metabisulfite, 1 g/L citric acid.

Rinse before and after use.

Back