Mold and stuff in beer bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colizza

Reaction score
Hey i'm bottling this weekend and i need bottles (crown top). Some of them have mold in them. Should i throw them away, or could i wash them in the dishwaher, then soak them in pbw overnight and sanitize before bottling. Would it do the work?

This happens when beer bottles aren't properly cleaneded and dried prior tom storage. I Get a carboy brush, soak them in hot water, use the brush to clean each bottle, then dip each bottle in sanitized hot water. I then visually inspect each bottle in the light. mold can be really clingy. After the sanitized water I allow bottles to cool down and then fill.

Never had a issue post cleaning. It's time consuming but worth I. Trust me, you don't want a you or a buddy drinking a contaminated beer or pouring a big mold spore into your/his pint glass.

Hey i'm bottling this weekend and i need bottles (crown top). Some of them have mold in them. Should i throw them away, or could i wash them in the dishwaher, then soak them in pbw overnight and sanitize before bottling. Would it do the work?

A dish washer can't do a very good job of cleaning bottles. Bottle mouth is to small. Soak in PBW overnight, bottle brush, and then rinse. Will come out clean. You can inspect the bottles with a strong light at the side against a light colored background.

This happens when beer bottles aren't properly cleaneded and dried prior tom storage. I Get a carboy brush, soak them in hot water, use the brush to clean each bottle, then dip each bottle in sanitized hot water. I then visually inspect each bottle in the light. mold can be really clingy. After the sanitized water I allow bottles to cool down and then fill.

Never had a issue post cleaning. It's time consuming but worth I. Trust me, you don't want a you or a buddy drinking a contaminated beer or pouring a big mold spore into your/his pint glass.

I thought star san works best at room temp?

New bottles cost about 50 cents each if bought in case lots. My time is worth something. If a bottle has gunk dried to the bottom, it goes out in the recycle and I replace it.

Don't bother cleaning. After the time, money and frustration they still may not be clean. Don't risk an infected batch and get new bottles

I clean bottles by preventing them from getting dirty(moldy) in the first place. Rinse as soon as I empty into the glass, upend in the dishwasher to drip dry and then place in the frige til the 6pak rack is full of empties. Then goes downstairs into a cardboard box with a closed top to keep out the dust. Daqy before bottling, the buttles come up, run through the dishwasher on the sanitize setting then squire with starsan from a vintator. Only one bottle has ever survived that r4eguimine with mold in it and that was one returned from someone I gave free beer to. (note to self don't share beer with people who don't brew)

In the beginning I washed bottles with gunk in them because when I shared HB, I got back cruddy bottles. No more. I would rather spend cash on a case of bottles then to scrub another set of bottles again.

I've used plenty of bottles that initially had mold in them. Don't be lazy. Just soak them in a strong Oxiclean solution for a day or 2 and then hit each one with a bottle brush, rinse and dry and sanitize with heat or star san before bottling. I've never once had an infection in a bottle. I heat sanitize right before bottling.

In this case I soak'em overnight in PBW. The moldy stuff floats right out.Scrub with bottle brush, rinse well & onto bottle tree to dry before storage in closed boxes.

Just to clarify I never mention starstan. But yes if you want to use starstan the way the creator says it is room temp/cold water. However, I've never had issues using it or any other cleaner in hot water.

Seriously though it takes like 25 minutes to clean 50+ bottles- if that. Why spend the gas, effort, and cash for new bottles? By the time you've done that the ones you have could be clean.

Now if your talking 200+ bottles I would pass.

Overnight soak in hot water with a scoop or two of oxiclean... Fix you right up. Then sanitize as usual.

I actually use DIY PBW... 70% oxiclean, 30% TSP-90. Gunk floats right out.

No need to toss perfectly usable bottles.

I had issues with what I found out were mineral deposits on the bottoms of many bottles, as well as what appears like small yeast piles that just won't budge.

Soaking and scrubbing with a bottle brush wouldn't always get everything. I ended up taking a nylon .45 cal pistol cleaning brush and bending it almost 90* to scrub better.

Now I have too many bottles and so I just recycle them when I find rings in the necks or junk at the bottom. I still buy plenty of commercial beer too.

Latest posts

Back