Moktoberfest mashed high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian13

Reaction score
I accidentally am mashing a Brulosopher Moktoberfest at 162 vs the planned 152. What can I expect/do at this point? Doing full volume BIAB.

Proceed as normal. Take notes and don't do it again. You're going to end up with a beer with more unfermentables and higher residual sweetness.

I don't know of any "fix" you can do.

^ this.

I think everyone has screwed up mash temperatures at some point and got decently drinkable beer out of it. If your Oktoberfest is mostly base malts (ie no crazy amounts of crystal or caramunich in there) then that works in your favour.

IT'll be a little sweeter than you intended, but given the style, personally - I wouldn't mind. Hopefully you took notes on your strike water and amount of grain so you can learn from your "mistake" but I'm confident you'll enjoy your beer. But, you should have brewed this style in late July/early August to be more timely :)

Sorry I don't have a link, brulisopher did an exbeerimwnt with extreme varied mash temps, and while the beers were significantly different FG, many tasters couldn't tell the difference..

I recently brewed a batch of OktoberFAST. I mashed a little higher than intended, 158F. I hit my OG as expected, 1.051, but my FG was 1.024. While I was disappointed when looking at the hydrometer, the beer came out great. I was expecting it to be rather sweet, but surprisingly it wasn't. I think the style has a lot of latitude so you'll be alright.

Fermentation has been going strong for the last 24 hours so we'll see what happens.

Latest posts

Back