Modifying water for double mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All, I also posted this in the BIAB thread. I am doing a double mash this week for a 10% barleywine. I have done this a few times now with good results. However, I recently moved to a new area and have started modifying my water with Epsom Salt, Calcium Chloride and Gypsum. I use EZ Water Calculator to determine the amounts of salts. However, this is the first double mash I have done since using salts to modify PH. The question is, should I calculate for the entire grain bill (18lbs) or should I calculate for 9lbs at a time. My thoughts: If I calculate for the entire grain bill, I will overshoot my PH on the first mash and maybe hit the mark on the second. If I calculate for 1/2 the bill at a time, I will hit the PH on the first mash, but will have to take a PH reading between mashes, recalculate for the 2nd mash. Does either of these sound right. I am definitely not a chemist, but I am hoping someone out there has dealt with this.

This is a full-volume mash so I will be mashing in the same strike water. The reason for the double-mash is the size of my mash tun/boil kettle. Although I suppose I could do it as you suggest and boil much longer to reduce my volume into fermenter...

I haven't done this before, but I would adjust your water chemistry for the first mash and then on the second only treat for whatever make-up water you need to add (due to grain absorption losses from the first mash.) I assume you're using the runnings from the first mash on the second mash right? If so, the water minerals will still be present from the first to the second mash.

Latest posts

Back