Modifying Imperial IPA extract kit recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlm123

Reaction score
This kit comes with 12 lbs LME, about 1 lb of hops, US-05, and 2 lbs corn sugar to be thrown in the boil. First question is, why add corn sugar to the boil? Second question is whether the following would make any sense as a replacement for the corn sugar. I have 1 lb of Light Munich malt and 1 lb of Carahell malt and was thinking of grinding half of each of those to use for steeping. Considering that this would lower the OG, should I hold back on some of the hops as well?

As a replacement for the 2 lbs corn sugar, I meant. Also, I'll consult mrmalty.com but does anyone have a hunch whether 1 pack of yeast would be enough to pitch? I also have a half pack of US-05 in the freezer, and another full pack, so I could use up to 2.5 packs.

That's a pretty big beer at about 1.096, the sugar is in there to help dry it out. I would leave it in especially with an extract batch, or if you don't want to go so big you could cut 1 lb of sugar and 1 lb of LME. That would get you around 1.082, still in DIPA range. You could add a half lb carahell if you wanted to that. The munich should really be mashed, steeping a half lb is probably just a waste in this IMO. Looks like 1.5 to 2 pks of 05 is about right depending on how big you go and how old the yeast is.

Back