Modifying a Kit Beer with a speciality yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richardb22

Reaction score
Background. I have been brewing with kits. One day with a house, garden,shed etc I want to step up but kits are easier in a small flat.

Brewing so far. A variety of kits and styles. Some brewed just for the hell of it. I have tried to improve each kit by using an appropriate dark or light spray malt rather than simply brewing sugar.

Results?

Not terrible. My Stout was admired. My IPA too. Some loved my Yorkshire Bitter and Mild Ale but I was not too keen just too sweet. My lagers were a Simply Lager a Coopers and a Wilkinsons.

I have come to the conclusion that I am a confirmed lager drinker or at a pinch a light pale ale and my lager kit brewing has not given me the results I hoped for. I want to concentrate on lager or pale ale,which chilled approximates very roughly too a lager.

The Plan.

Get an appropriate lager kit or pale ale kit and some White labs WLP810 SAN FRANCISCO LAGER YEAST. Works up to 65 degrees which baring a heatwave should work in my "brewcupboard" and add it to a kit.

Shazam! A Californian Common lager style steam beer. Keep the yeast and wash it (there is a thread about that) and repeat.

A better Lager experience than my kit lagers so far?

Any thoughts ladies and Gents?

Cheers Richard

Sounds like that will work. Only thoughts are that you might try a light hybrid ale yeast at a low temp as an alternative, like a cream ale or kölsch strain since your at the high end of the lager range and the low end of the ale range and that's where these work best. They might give you a clean profile like the lager styles you like.

I would recommend keeping the yeast at the lower end of the temp zone if possible. If you don't like the fruity yeast esters, a lower pitch and ferment temp will reduce it. Even if you use an ale yeast. Even some ice packs in your chamber can help if you keep an eye on it.

Roed Haus Brewery

Yes this is worth a go. Will update you as to how it turned out . Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do you have the room to put a "keg bucket" anywhere, like maybe in the tub/shower when not in use? It may not be the best version of a "swamp cooler", but it might help control temperature swings.

The WLP029 German ale/Kolsch strain will work very well and produce a good clean tasting beer that most people would class as lager.

It smells like rotten eggs during the first few days of fermenting but don't worry, that's normal. The smell dies off and leaves no taste in the beer. I like it a lot.

You can quite easily wash it and store some in the fridge for use in your next batch.

Back