Modified Fast (burst) Carbing Method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceyaquarius

Reaction score
Yes, I have read most of the posts about slow forced carbing (set it and forget it), fast forced carbing (30 PSI for 48 hours), and also the 12 PSI rock the keg back and forth like a big ol' beer-baby (LOL) threads.

What about this method? Set the keg at 20 PSI for 48 hours, do not vent the keg at all, then turn down the PSI to 10 PSI and wait. I'm guessing that it could take about 7-10 days total (not counting the previous 3 weeks of fermentation). What do you guys think??? :mug:

I guess I don't see why the keg has to be vented at all unless you're really trying to drink the beer in less than a week, and then over-carbonation is a real possibility.

Give it a shot. I usually do it similarly. Never a problem, and I too din't understand venting it it you are going to leave hooked up for several days after. The head space should come into equilibrium soon.

If you don't vent, how will you know you are @ 10 PSI?

Unless you have a regulator that vents when you dial it down, in which case, that will vent the keg as well, yes?...........:)

I find 24 to 36 hours at temp and 30 psi then set it at serving and wait 3 to 4 days. The key is the at temp part. I put my warm keg in the fridge and hook it up so I generally have it connected for close to 48 hours because it takes a while to get cold

Cold crash beer, keg beer, gas it at 30psi for 24 hours. Perfect every time

If you don't vent, how will you know you are @ 10 PSI?

Unless you have a regulator that vents when you dial it down, in which case, that will vent the keg as well, yes?...........:)

20 PSI for 2 days, then disconnect the gas QD turn the reg down all the way, vent the QD by pushing the pin in, dial the reg back up to 10 PSI and reattached the QD to the keg.

Latest posts

Back