Modified BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuckerl

Reaction score
I'm exploring the idea of doing a modified BIAB setup allowing me to do larger (10gal) batches without any of the heavy lifting (i've got some back issues).

What I want is a 50-60L cooler, with bag inside, next to and draining into my keggle. I will then be recirculating wort from the keggle via pump back into the cooler and should easily be able to maintain temp without worrying about having to lift the bag partially out. Just have to fire up the keggle and raise the temp of the recirc wort.

At the end of the mash, I will drain into keggle and will be able to cinch up the bag and "squeeze" by pushing down on it with a pot lid or something. It looks like Blinchmann is doing something similar with their upcoming "Breweasy" system.
http://www.blichmannengineering.com/new-innovations-coming-soon

Any thoughts?

I know it will be one additional thing to clean, but I will gladly trade that for increased batch sizes and not having to lift that large of a wet grain bag.

Would love some feedback.

Hello,

Some of my random thoughts re your process :)

If you use a cooler you should not need to recirculate any of the mash, the temps should be with a degree or 2 for 45-60 minutes, especially with a 15 gallon mash.
Note - you will need 15 gallons of mash/grain space to end up with 13 gallons pre boil wort, I assume you will boil off 1.5 gallons and end up with 11.5 gallons of wort to end of up with 10 gallons of finished beer.... so you need a cooler big enough to hold all that :)

Pumps and BIAB do not belong together, I tried to get them to work but failed :)
If I understand your process, Trying to get the cooler to drain back into the keggle will probably clog up and starve the pump... OR if the cooler drains fast enough into the keggle the pump would have to be turned way down to a trickle as to not over flow the cooler....but by that time the keggle would be dry :)
Any way... I dont see any value using the pump, it will cost you a lot of money to buy and plump it and you will end up frustrated.. sorry to be blunt, but again I have had similar experiences :)

You will have to lift the bag sooner or later.... lots of people will tell you to get a hoist of some sorts so you dont have to lift it, which is great advice, especially when you lifting 20 pounds of grain soaked in water.

I to use a keggle, my solution to what you are trying to do is -
I Heat 13 gallons of water in a keggle
Put in 20ish pounds of grain, stir, wait 45 minutes
Hoist bag and let drain a couple of minutes
Move bag/grain to a homade 5 gallon bucket collander that has holes in the bottom of it and 4 bolts in the side, that bucket sits on top of another bucket
Turn on heat to start boil process (10.5 gallons of wort in keggle now)
Pour 2.5 gallons of sparge water on the grain, in the bucket/collander
5-10 minutes later most of the 2.5 gallons has drained through the grain and into the bottom bucket (sparged wort)
Put a dinner plate on top of the grain bag and squeeze it down a little bit to get the last bit of wort out of the grain
Pour the 2.5 gallons of sparge wort into the keggle and end up with 13 gallons of preboil
Boil for 60 minutes and get 11.5 gallons wort
Put 11.5 gallons in the fermenter (sanke keg)
Fill 2 cornies in 3 weeks

Hope you find something that works
thanks
Kevin

I'm thinking of going the Zapap mash tun idea too. To sparge my grain bag. What kind of efficiency are you getting?

I'm thinking of going the Zapap mash tun idea too. To sparge my grain bag. What kind of efficiency are you getting?

I mash for 45 minutes, crush once at .035 and get 79% effeciency.

Note that I use a stir motor while mashing, that ups my numbers a couple of points.
I also have used both room temp water and 150 degree water to sparge with and it did not seem affect my effeciency numbers.

thanks Kevin

Thanks for the note. I had a hoist at one point but my setup is mobile so unless I build an arm into my stand which isn't that practical for me, it's not an option.

As to the pump, I already have one which is used successfully to recirc the mash in the keggle with no problems (similar to High Gravity's setup http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/BIAB-Electric-Brewing-System-269p3987.htm#.UzXkhNyo6JR) but also used for the recirc arm on my wort chiller. I also use it to pump directly into the fermenter sitting inside my chest freezer. Never had a pump issue in my BIAB setup.

I understand I will have to lift some eventually, but lifting 25+lbs of grain soaking wet vs most of the wort squeezed out is a huge diff.

I think what you propose should work fine. Potential issues I see is that the bag may not drain fast enough, and you will need some sort of manifold in the MT under the bag.

The simple approach would just be to use a large cooler, mash at full volume, then runoff to the kettle.

Or mash at say 1/2 volume, and then recirc and runoff once the mash is done.

I too believe in keeping it simple.

Oh. Just my opinion. All this talk about squeezing the bag is unnecessary, simply allowing the bag to drain for 20 minutes or so get most of the sweet wort.

What I want is a 50-60L cooler, with bag inside, next to and draining into my keggle. I will then be recirculating wort from the keggle via pump back into the cooler and should easily be able to maintain temp without worrying about having to lift the bag partially out. Just have to fire up the keggle and raise the temp of the recirc wort.

Would love some feedback.
That doesn't sound doable. In keeping with the BIAB thread, can you position your keggle over a soffit or something, then use a block and tackle. Can you pull/lift 10 pounds?

I think it would work. Mash in the pot or mash in the cooler either way would work fine. I do agree with Wilser that you might want some kind or manifold under the bag In the cooler to ensure the wort can drain to the valve. Could be really simple though as all you would be trying to do is create channels to direct the wort. Maybe a could of small diameter pvc pies cut in half lengthwise to direct the wort.

Otherwise I say go for it especially if it seems to you like it would be easier with your back issues.

Back