Modern day (multi stage extraction) mashing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfection

Reaction score
If any if my basic facts are wrong please correct me

Mashing can be done in a mash tun (more of a mash kettle as opposed to the traditional mash tuns). A brew kettle too can double up as a mash tun, if scheduling permits. Mash Lauter Tuns (MLTs) can do the same.

I have heard of infusion mashing and decoction mashing - are both possible to be done in a multiple stage extraction?

Typically in what would a multiple extraction be done?

I done in a mash kettle, is each mash extraction followed by the running off of the draining of the wort, further followed by addition of hotter water added for the next extraction and finally a final sparging. So where is the role of lauter tuns and what happens to what happens to mash up, recirculation)?

If done in an MLT is the wort drained off after each stage of extraction followed by a sparge and if so how does mash up and recirculation apply

Can the mash in a lauter tun be heated or has already heated water to the added

What is the role of the rotatory paddles in a lauter tun

Don't ask me to refer to any website. These lack of understanding is the result of reading too many website including Diffords, whisky.com, John Palmer and coors college and the brewer's handbook

Please help me with these questions

If any if my basic facts are wrong please correct me

Mashing can be done in a mash tun (more of a mash kettle as opposed to the traditional mash tuns). A brew kettle too can double up as a mash tun, if scheduling permits. Mash Lauter Tuns (MLTs) can do the same.

I have heard of infusion mashing and decoction mashing - are both possible to be done in a multiple stage extraction?

Typically in what would a multiple extraction be done?

I done in a mash kettle, is each mash extraction followed by the running off of the draining of the wort, further followed by addition of hotter water added for the next extraction and finally a final sparging. So where is the role of lauter tuns and what happens to what happens to mash up, recirculation)?

If done in an MLT is the wort drained off after each stage of extraction followed by a sparge and if so how does mash up and recirculation apply

Can the mash in a lauter tun be heated or has already heated water to the added

What is the role of the rotatory paddles in a lauter tun

Don't ask me to refer to any website. These lack of understanding is the result of reading too many website including Diffords, whisky.com, John Palmer and coors college and the brewer's handbook

Please help me with these questions

perfection.
1.- I haven´t read about multiple stage extraction, but you may be referring to Batch Sparging. Answer would be yes.
2.- You would do a Batch sparge to try to optimize extraction efficiency.
3.- I don´t quite understand your third and fourth questions.
4?
5.- Yes, the mash may be heated and this is what´s called a Decoction Mash. Methods are Direct Heating and the "Real" Decoction where you pull some of the mash, boil in a separate vessel and add back to mash tun.
6.- Agitate the mash to improve efficiency.
Hope these answers help
Chanoc

Sorry. but I found some of your answers on probrew.com so I am going to refer you to another web page:
http://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?5845-difference-between-lauter-tun-and-mash-tun

Basically I used the search term "diference between a mash tun and lauter tun". I already knew the answer, but the web page above does a better job explaining it.

If you are home brewing, you don't need a separate mash and lauter tun. If you are trying to run production, transferring the mash to the lauter tun frees up the mash tun for another round of mashing while the lauter is going on. To make things more complicated, some breweries will use the boil kettle as a mash tun.
The rakes in a mash tun are used when heating during a step mash. Many modern breweries just do a single infusion mash and have thoroughly mix the grain and water when it enters the mash tun so the rakes aren't required.
So some breweries have a Boil Kettle, Mash Tun. Lauter tun and even a whirlpool kettle, Whole others may just have just a mash tun and kettle.

Back