MO SmaSh Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhammer

Reaction score
I am planning my first BIAB brew for Saturday. The basic recipe is 12 lbs Maris Otter and 4oz East Kent Goldings hops. I have a Keggle and a Bayou Classic SQ-14 Burner. I will be mashing for 90 min to maximize extraction. Here are my questions:

1). Which is preferable, a 60 or 90 minute boil?

2). How should I time my hop additions? How much bitterness should I aim for?

I just want a well-balanced, good tasting beer and a chance to get to know both my equipment and my ingredients.

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated :)

The finer crush used in BIAB make a 90 minute mash unnecessary. Length of boil depends what you're trying to accomplish and your boil-off rate. If you're trying to increase the gravity of your wort by sparging more, than you may want a 90 minute boil to get the proper volume into your fermenter. With Maris Otter and EKG you'll get an English beer. Hop additions will depend on what style you're looking for. Off the top of my head and not knowing the alpha acid, I'd say 1oz at 60, 1oz at 15, 1oz at flame-out and 1oz dryhop to make an English IPA.

The finer crush used in BIAB make a 90 minute mash unnecessary. Length of boil depends what you're trying to accomplish and your boil-off rate. If you're trying to increase the gravity of your wort by sparging more, than you may want a 90 minute boil to get the proper volume into your fermenter. With Maris Otter and EKG you'll get an English beer. Hop additions will depend on what style you're looking for. Off the top of my head and not knowing the alpha acid, I'd say 1oz at 60, 1oz at 15, 1oz at flame-out and 1oz dryhop to make an English IPA.

The Alpha Acid is 5%. This sounds like a plan:D

Back