MO / Rye IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redlantern

Reaction score
Looking to find a nice rye IPA recipe. Lately, I have begun to really appreciate MO as a base, but rye adds a wonderful spicy edge that is simply amazing. Was wondering if the two went together well.

I just got the hang of AG brewing, single infusion, no mash out , so I want to stay there for a while.

Can anyone recommend a grain bill and/or a hop profile for such a brew?

Apparently the rye has an issue with getting a stuck mash if one is not careful, so I want to be observant of that. I understand percentage to be 10-15% of the bill?

Additionally, picking hops that work with rye without overpowering or conflicting is beyond my understanding. I have seen tons of recipes out there, but with the variety, it is hard to understand which way to go.

I would really appreciate the help.

I think a 90/10 MO/Rye split would be really tasty for an IPA. As far as hops go I would think Columbus, Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook would all be pretty tasty. You could pick any 2 or 3 of those and my guess is you'd have a nice beer.

Have fun and let us know what you end up with. Cheers.

Back