MM3 vs MM2Pro mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny2fresh

Reaction score
I narrowed down my efficiency issue to too course of a crush. I ordered grain online and it came "crushed" however it barely looks touched. I got about 42% on my last batch. I brewed a stout the other week and used grain double crushed from my LHBS and got 62%. I mash in a bag with the Ss brewtech mash tun so I'm looking at getting a mill so I can get a better crush.

I can't decide between the MM3 or the MM2Pro. Any suggestions?

Mm3 pro. I have one and one thing I never worry about any more is crushing grain.

I've had good crushes with just a 2 roller setup all be it a chinese one it does whats needed without too much cost. I haven't seen anything yet that would cause me to want to go to 3 rollers. There may be some benefit but it depends on if you are prepared to pay for that benefit.

I'm surprised at 42%, did they even crush it? I had what I would consider a poor crush when my mill got out of adjustment with some pilsner malt where the malt looked intact but had indeed been cracked as it would break as you examined the intact looking grains and got 70% ish but then again my eHERMS seems to do well with a wide range of crushes.

I've had good crushes with just a 2 roller setup all be it a chinese one it does whats needed without too much cost. I haven't seen anything yet that would cause me to want to go to 3 rollers. There may be some benefit but it depends on if you are prepared to pay for that benefit.

I'm surprised at 42%, did they even crush it? I had what I would consider a poor crush when my mill got out of adjustment with some pilsner malt where the malt looked intact but had indeed been cracked as it would break as you examined the intact looking grains and got 70% ish but then again my eHERMS seems to do well with a wide range of crushes.

It barely looked crushed. Even my father in law who brews with me asked if it was crushed. I have 3 other batches that I ordered from this place and they all look the same. I figured that I'd invested this much all ready into tuns, kettles, pumps might as well crush my own grains while I'm at it.

Yep having your own mill is a great way to control more of the beer making process. The side benefit is you can buy sacks of malt and they keep for ages un crushed

Had a two roller for years and always thought it produced a decent crush. However after it died I upgraded to a MM3 and it does a better job with less damage to the husks while still getting a decently fine particle size. If it didn't make a difference all the world would use 2 rollers.

I'd go with the 3 roller before the 2 roller pro version.

You'll get much more in tact husk and can get still the starch pretty fine.

Even the best 2 roller is going to tear the husks more than any 3 roller.

The worry over damaging the husks seems a little over blown as BIAB folks turn theirs to dust. I can get pretty reasonably undamaged husks on two rollers and yeah 3 may be better but I doubt I could taste the difference in the beers I do.

I had the MM2 and now have the MM2Pro (sold my gear when I moved and rebought). Loved the MM2, was such a great mill. I don't really see any difference with my MM2Pro's larger roller size, I mostly notice just that it's heavier. With the MM2 I was getting 86% efficiency with a cooler mash tun. I've only done one batch so far with the Pro and it was with a Robobrew (first time using it) and I got 83%.

As far as three rollers, I've never had the desire for one. Main reason being more of a hassle to adjust the gap Being I do Wheat beers a lot and tighten the gap up this matters to me. Plus, my MM2Pro is heavy enough and I don't want a heavier mill. I don't have a space to permanently mount it on a bench or anything, I mill on top of a bucket, so mill weight matters. I'm sure three roller mills are great, but they definitely aren't a necessity. The choice is yours.

Rev.

There is certain bling factor for sure in these grain mills. The BIAB guys start out super happy with corona style mills but eventually upgrade. I’ve been reasonably satisfied with my barley crusher for more than 4 years and still covet an upgrade. I read everyone of these threads for nuggets of information to consider then go into the garage and grind another 35 pound grain bill with the BC.

If the money difference isn't huge, go with the three roller mill. You may not care--now--about keeping the husks intact, but you may decide at a later date to pursue other brewing methods that require a coarser crush and the husks to stay intact. You may decide that a slow crush is desirable and a mill that works well at that lower speed would be desirable.

I bought a MM3 at the end of 2017; it is, truly, a monster, and when coupled to an electric motor, it's the nuts. I bought it in part because I want it to be the last mill I ever have to buy.

As I look back over the last 2 1/2 years during which I went from a Northern Brewer kit to my current MM3, two ferm chambers, keezer, Spike CF10 conical, Spike kettle....I look back at the decisions I wish I'd made at the outset.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have never bought that NB kettle, I'd have gone right to the Spike. I wouldn't have bought extra Bigmouth Bubblers--I still have two, siphonless, NIB. And I wouldn't have bought my Barley Crusher, instead putting that money toward the Monster Mill 3.

I know, I know--when we start out we don't know if we're going to like this, so we minimize our expenses so that if we decide to quit, our out-of-pocket cost is as small as possible.

But I sure wish I could go back in time and undo some of those earlier purchases.

The point, which I'm sure you've got, is to think about what you're going to wish you'd done a year, two years, three years from now. Rarely do I regret buying as high a quality as I can afford.

Think really hard about what your best long term purchase is going to be.

Good luck!

If the money difference isn't huge, go with the three roller mill. You may not care--now--about keeping the husks intact, but you may decide at a later date to pursue other brewing methods that require a coarser crush and the husks to stay intact. You may decide that a slow crush is desirable and a mill that works well at that lower speed would be desirable.

I bought a MM3 at the end of 2017; it is, truly, a monster, and when coupled to an electric motor, it's the nuts. I bought it in part because I want it to be the last mill I ever have to buy.

As I look back over the last 2 1/2 years during which I went from a Northern Brewer kit to my current MM3, two ferm chambers, keezer, Spike CF10 conical, Spike kettle....I look back at the decisions I wish I'd made at the outset.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have never bought that NB kettle, I'd have gone right to the Spike. I wouldn't have bought extra Bigmouth Bubblers--I still have two, siphonless, NIB. And I wouldn't have bought my Barley Crusher, instead putting that money toward the Monster Mill 3.

I know, I know--when we start out we don't know if we're going to like this, so we minimize our expenses so that if we decide to quit, our out-of-pocket cost is as small as possible.

But I sure wish I could go back in time and undo some of those earlier purchases.

The point, which I'm sure you've got, is to think about what you're going to wish you'd done a year, two years, three years from now. Rarely do I regret buying as high a quality as I can afford.

Think really hard about what your best long term purchase is going to be.

Good luck!

Over the last 6 months I went from a 5gal extract set up, to a 15gal BIAB set up, to now a Ss Brewtech BME kettle, Mash tun, and riptide pumps all permanently located in my garage "brewery" with all the rest of my equipment. I like the idea of never having to upgrade down the road. I feel like the MM3 would probably give me the best and it saves me a few bucks compared to the MM2pro.

The worry over damaging the husks seems a little over blown as BIAB folks turn theirs to dust. I can get pretty reasonably undamaged husks on two rollers and yeah 3 may be better but I doubt I could taste the difference in the beers I do.

It’s not about taste, it’s about lauter performance.

You may not BBIAB forever. It makes a measurable difference in recirculating systems.

Spending this much on a mill you might as well make it the last mill you have to buy.

I have the MM3-pro and it's phenomenal. My buddy has the MM3 and it's awesome, too. 3 rollers is the way to go IMO to preserve the husks and also pretty much grind as small as possible. My efficiency is crazy.

Just to throw out another option that looks every bit as good as the MM3 if not better, how about the kegco mill? Seems like a no brainer, crazy deal vs the MM3 (keep in mind the hopper is included on the kegco so it's ~$94 cheaper). Maybe someone who owns can chime in.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/homebrew/pre-fermentation-equipment/kegco-KM11GM-3R-grain-mill.html

I went with the MM3. I like the idea of a three roller and the larger rollers didn’t seam worth it with only doing 5-10 gallon batches.

I had the same dilemma when I was upgrading from a barley crusher. I ended up getting a steal on the mm2pro on Ebay- about half price brand new. I am very pleased with it. I brew 20 gallon batches though so the larger rollers make milling 50lbs of grain go a bit faster. I have never needed to adjust the gap once and get a perfect crush. Had it about 2 years now..

I went with the kegco 3 roller and love it. It does a great job and a lot less money than the mm. The only thing with the kegco is the markings on the roller adjustment knobs are not accurate so use a feeler guage. I can grind 10 pounds of malt in no time using the hand crank. Read up on malt conditioning. It helps keep the husk intact while getting a very fine crush.

I get in the 80% brewhouse efficiency using my Monster Mill MM-2 Pro with the heat treated rollers.

Attachments

• IMG_2575.jpg
    IMG_2575.jpg
    810.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2581.jpg
    IMG_2581.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 128
I use a corona mill and mash in a bag. These are to rich for my blood.

To each his own. Heck, I know people who spend thousands of dollars on travel during a vacation, and they have nothing but memories and some digital photos to show for it.

I also know someone who drives a crappy car and lives in a small house just to free up money so he can travel. As for me, travel doesn't do much--every time I go to a place that has famous buildings or vistas or whatever, I always have the same reaction: looks like the pictures. :)

BTW, there's one exception to that: the Great Wall of China. I don't think pictures can do that justice.

We all put our money where we think it provides us the most bang for our buck, or our values.

i rarely spend money on travel or services. i prefer to buy hard assets, such as more stainless steel for the brewery. so far so good.

I am just starting down the grain mill rabbit hole. What is the difference between the beer specific 3 roller set ups and the more traditional large cast grain mills in the 500.00 range like the sell on Lehman hardware site?
Eric

I went with the kegco 3 roller and love it. It does a great job and a lot less money than the mm. The only thing with the kegco is the markings on the roller adjustment knobs are not accurate so use a feeler guage. I can grind 10 pounds of malt in no time using the hand crank. Read up on malt conditioning. It helps keep the husk intact while getting a very fine crush.
The other huge advantage of the kegco 3 roller mill IMO is the fact that it comes standard with the upgraded real ball bearings that you have to buy the expensive bearing upgrade for on the MM3 pro... between my brewing partner and I we have a barley crusher (rollers dont really work anymore which was a big issue with these) a mm3 a kegco 3 roller and a cereal killer... anyone of the last three work well. the 3 roller mills are for our small brewpub.

I get 91% efficiency with the motorized belt driven cereal killer...I try not to overthink it..been using it for over 4 years and never seen a reason to upgrade myself.
No issues with stuck sparges or recalculation and such so Ive never conditioned my grain or used rice, just grind at .030 and go.

Latest posts

Back