MM-3Pro Mill Motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgodsill

Reaction score
I am in the midst of planning a motorized grain mill. I have an MM-3Pro with 2" rollers. Does anyone have any problems using the 1/2HP motor from All American Ale works with a large 3 roller mill like this? I do plan on going with the 180RPM version which has 14.46 foot pounds / 173.52 inch pounds of torque. I don't think that I would have any issues, but Monster Brewing says this mill requires a 1HP motor. Thanks for your help!

Timothy

I am in the midst of planning a motorized grain mill. I have an MM-3Pro with 2" rollers. Does anyone have any problems using the 1/2HP motor from All American Ale works with a large 3 roller mill like this? I do plan on going with the 180RPM version which has 14.46 foot pounds / 173.52 inch pounds of torque. I don't think that I would have any issues, but Monster Brewing says this mill requires a 1HP motor. Thanks for your help!

Timothy

Problems with it? That's part of the reason I went w/ the AAW motor. I have the 180-rpm version, get the proper keyway for the MM3 and you're good to go.

millcarta.jpg
millcartb.jpg

millcart1.jpg

Do you have any regrets going with the 180RPM motor vs. the 240RPM version? Also, what are the dimensions of the top of your cart? Great build btw!

Regrets of 180 vs. 240? No--in fact, I want it slower. The faster a mill goes, the more it'll tend to promote oxidation. Slower is better. It takes about 2 minutes to go through 12 pounds of malt at that speed. Gap is .035.

The mill cart is 27" wide by 16" deep. I had a scrap piece of laminated chipboard so I went with that for the top. BTW, that top is hinged, as you can see from the pic in the earlier post. I wanted a way to tip it up and get underneath to clean as necessary. The rest was based on other scrap I had lying around. The size was determined by the space in which I had to store it.

BTW, the easy way to get the rolling base is to buy a furniture dolly. Virtually all home stores sell them, as well as farm stores and the like. I've seen the 18x30" furniture dolly on sale for $9.99. If you like that form factor, you can build right on it. I took mine apart and cut it down to fit the 16x27 dimensions, using just the long-side runners. But you could build right on top of it if you wanted.

If you go to the All American Aleworks site and look at their gallery, you'll find a ton of different ways people set the motor/mill up. You may have a cart or some such you could press into service.

millspace1.jpg millcart2.jpg

Thanks much for the input and pics! Purchases have been made based on your recommendations. Cheers!

Back