MLT sightglass value IF you only underlet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinemarten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm reworking a MLT for a 3v herms setup and considering adding sightglass. I only fill the MLT by underleting from the HLT which does have a sightglass so by simply subtracting I do know the volume that has made it out and into the MLT. I see sightglasses on MLTs of other brewers set ups who also underlet, but I'm not sure what it really accomplishes considering the displacement of the grain. Could it just be because Blichmann BoilerMakers come standard with a sightglass and is serving no purpose?

There is still a benefit to having one on the MLT when you are fly sparging. You normally want to maintain a head of water above the grain bed while sparging, so if you have a lid on the MLT, it's easy to look at the sight glass to see that level. A marginal benefit, but still works for that.

Volume measurement for the MLT is helpful (for some) because of line/plumbing loss in the movement from HLT to MLT.

Thanks for reply. Tube loss is a good point. But even considering that, wouldn't the reading on the sightglass be fairly useless because the grain is displacing water and inflating the reading on the glass? All the grain will be loaded before any water comes in from the bottom.

Thanks for reply. Tube loss is a good point. But even considering that, wouldn't the reading on the sightglass be fairly useless because the grain is displacing water and inflating the reading on the glass? All the grain will be loaded before any water comes in from the bottom.
Because the water permeates through the grain bed, the sight glass will show the correct water level. The only time it doesn't is if the sight glass or fitting to the sight glass is plugged.

Latest posts

Back