MLT false bottom lifted up and grain got under!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookiemofo

Reaction score
Just got a 10" for my 10gal rubbermaid drink cooler. Is it possible tha it's too small and I should have gotten the 12"? I assume it lifted from my drill bit paint stirrer or when I dumped in the mash out water.

Thoughts?

^^^ Grain bag is awesome, I'd use it in almost every home brew situation as it prevents problems, helps clear wort and makes clean up much easier!

It was enough grain to plug my valve. I blew threw it to release it, and it plugged again. Did it twice. Finally ended up dumping the mash into my kettle and hosing it out. Then had my wife hold down the false with my spoon while i dumped the mash back in. Then after I drained I added my sparge water with a pitcher out of fear of it lifting up again.

I have a feeling it was from my stirrer. The drill bit is rather large and maybe have been responsible. My local shop said they might exchange it for the 12" but I'm not holding my breath. It would be nice to just figure out the culprit and correct it. The 10" does seem to remove pretty easy for cleaning.

This is what the stirrer looks like... overkill?

http://www.dinodirect.com/drill-bit-hammer-paint-mixer-iron-11mm.html

Been gone a few days and getting back to HBT. I just put the false bottom in like normal and then line the tun with the grain bag and the bottom part of the bag is over the top of the false bottom. So, the bag gets filled with grain, but the only thing getting to my false bottom is liquid.

Back