MLT Cooler preferences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnscooter

Reaction score
I'm beginning to put together my equipment to move into AG brewing. My first dilemma is deciding on a cooler type for my MLT. Can't decide whether to go for the rectangular or cylindrical cooler type. I think that I will be doing 5 gallon batches if this might influence a decision either way. I'd like to hear your arguments on what type you went with and your reasons for doing so.

To add, after working with your setup for a while, would you make the same decision today? :mug:

http://www.target.com/Coleman-Coole...ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&rh=k:28_qt_cooler&page=1

Rubbermaid Cooler - 48 Quart at REI.com

either of these is an excellent choice IMO for batch sparging. I like the rectangular coolers vs the tall cylindrical beverage coolers for ease of use, low price, and also easier to stir and check temps being that they are not as tall. These can usually be found at discount stores fairly cheap.

Some really like these ten gallon beverage coolers, can be found at Home Depot for less than $40. For some reason these don't really excite me, but I'm sure they work well.

http://www.bizrate.com/waterdispensers/oid765177107.html

I picked the 10 Gal. Rubbermaid cylindrical cooler up at HD for $37.96 +tax, right at $40 total. It's well insulated, the hardware conversion kit from Bargain Fittings went right in, it doesn't leak, and there are large numbers of homebrewers out there using this particular MLT conversion, so that it provides me with a valuable information resource.
I rejected the cheaper "Ice Cube" type of coolers. All the ones in the stores around here don't seem to have any insulation, nor do they have a drain. I know some guys inject that "Good Stuff" insulation into them, and drill their own holes for the manifold / valve, but that extra work and uncertainty wasn't worth it.....I just bought the Rubbermaid.
As far as what shape makes the best MLT- after reading a whole lot of basically contradictory stuff on several forums, including plenty of anecdotal stuff that people were making great beer with ALL the different shapes -cylinders, cubes, rectangles, zododecahedrons, etc.- I concluded it doesn't matter.
Size may matter. There is some evidence that if you mash too small a volume in a given cooler that you may experience excessive heat loss during a 60 minute mash. I have no personal experience that would confirm that, however.

There are work arounds to having too big of a MLT, but there is nothing you can do if your MLT is too small. I use a 10 Rubbermaid for HD that was great for 5 gallon batches, but with 10 gallon batches you run out of room at about 1.065 OG beers and higher.

Back