Mixing yeast Wyeast 1388 (blegian golden strong) with cultured yeast Pranqster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbeerman

Reaction score
I harvested yeast from 8 bottles of Pranqster. I put the dregs of 4 bottles in to separate quart mason jars with 250 or so ml of 1.020 wort. Kept them nice and warm and let them go. They took a 4 days to show a some of activity and some krausen.

So the next day I added about 250 - 300 ml of 1.30 wort to each jar. I put each jar on the stir plate for 8 hours. They took off like crazy. I let them go for about 5 days. Now I have about a 1/2" of yeast at the bottom of each jar. I put them in the fridge to decant this morning.

How do I estimate how many cells I have in those quart jars.

Should I decant and then add more wort at around 1.040 or just go right to a starter.

I was originally thinking of dumping each jar into a starter with a smack pack on 1388 to build up plenty more cells I need close to 600 billion according to beersmith for my 10 gallon batch on 1.074 Golden strong.

Any help would be much appreciated. :mug:

Thanks!

Back