Mixing wines at serving time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some mesquite mead that I made last year that's all bottled. It's quite nice but a lot sweeter than I like. As a point of reference, my wine of choice is Blackstone Merlot, I'm not a white wine guy (other than mead and cysers).

I'm thinking of mixing a dry white wine with it at serving just to knock the sweetness down a bit. But I don't want to dilute the mead to the point where the honey is lost. Looking for suggestions here as to what wine might be appropriate.

As a side question, does the perception of sweetness in wine change with temperature? I'm wondering if chilling the mead might help in this regard.

Tia

Chilling will make it seem less sweet, same with adding some acid to balance. Or check out the BOMM thread (great protocol, but at the least to get you something drinkable in a timely manner to mix with), make a dry mead, and blend.

Latest posts

Back