Mixing two types of honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckabrewski

Reaction score
I'm brewing the extract grand cru kit from mws. It came with 2 pounds of honey I was going to add an extra half pound of honey that I have at the house. My questions is will this cause any off flavors since they are two different brands of honey?

It will be in primary for 1 month then bottled for at least 6 months while I'm deployed.

No problems with mixing the honeys. It's just different sugars.

If it were me, I would add the honey after the main fermentation was done (about 1 week mark). Providing the honey container is un-opened, I would just add it without any other preparation.

If you boil the honey (or if it is added at the start of fermentation), much of the aromatics will be driven off.

Honey is too concentrated to promote bacterial growth. So provided the packaging is fine, you should be able to add it straight.

Calder said:
No problems with mixing the honeys. It's just different sugars.

If it were me, I would add the honey after the main fermentation was done (about 1 week mark). Providing the honey container is un-opened, I would just add it without any other preparation.

If you boil the honey (or if it is added at the start of fermentation), much of the aromatics will be driven off.

Honey is too concentrated to promote bacterial growth. So provided the packaging is fine, you should be able to add it straight.

I already added them both to the boil but I might add some more after primary now that u said that

i add honey at flame out for my brews, but i'm adding them as a natural sugar... not for any aromatic purpose. honey has a natural antibactial property (so i've heard anyway)... sort of like hops (though probably not as much). so like calder said, shouldn't be a problem to add right out of the bottle (maybe dip the bottle in starsan or something before opening just to be extra safe).

what i will say is that honey tends to extend fermentation time. yeast don't seem to chew through it quite as fast as other fermentables. that said, make sure you're checking gravities if you've never used it before. a beer that might normally ferment out in 7 days may take a few more days when adding honey.

:)

Back