mixing liquid and dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heckofagator

Reaction score
I went to the brew store and bought ingredients for these today;

Citra DIPA - Wyeast 1087 (sub for WLP001); target OG 1.073
Oatmeal Stout - US05; target OG 1.068

On the way home I was reading the Wyeast packet which said its fine for up to 1.060 and another packet might be needed for over that. I'm not too anxious to spend another $8 on a 2nd smack pack.

So I can pitch the 1087 out of a starter and then half of the US05 packet for the DIPA, and then go pick up another US05 packet and use 1 packet and a half for the Stout? This will not only save money but also let me start one brew tomorrow without having to go shopping.

Thanks!

I guess I'll have to read up more on starters. Usually I just mix 2c water with 1/2c dme, dump in the yeast, and swirl for a day. I'm not sure how many more cells I get with that.

I found the Mr. Malty calculator and put in my numbers and they say I need a 1.27 L of starter for this OG and batch size.

As I said above, I've just been making my starters with 2 cups water and a 1/2 cup of DME for every batch. So basically, to do this right, I just want to do a starter with 1.27L of water and then I just need to figure out how much DME to get to the ideal 1.030-1.040 SG of wort?

.5c/2c = x/5.37c

solve for x and mix that up?

since my 127g calculation almost exactly equals your 4.5 oz, i think we're on the same page then.

I've been making starters 10:1 water to DME and pitching my yeast to that. I've been making big-ish beers so a lot of 1.5 liter starters. Mr. Malty's calculator is sound and handy as hell.

Back