Mixed up my malt additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choochoobacca

Reaction score
Hello folks,

So yesterday I brewed my 2nd ever batch, the jawbreaker wheat pale ale kit from Midwest. Everything went well except for one thing. I added my LME when I was supposed to add the DME (start of boil, 60 min) and vice versa ( added DME at 15min, instead of 60 min). Yeah, yeah, rookie mistake, I know!

Here's the thing, I've read enough around here to know not to worry too much. DWRAHAHB, right? However, what kind of differences can I expect from this change in the final product? I'm just curious more than anything. My boil size was 2.5 gal and I topped up to 5 gallons.

Here's a link the the instructions from Midwest, in case anyone is interested in the details:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/downloads/498/Jawbreaker_Pale_Wheat_Instructions.pdf

Everything else on brew day was spot on and my SG was the the expected 1.052. Thanks for reading and any comments are appreciated!

The only difference you might notice is in the hop utilization. If you put most of the fermentables in firts you'll get a slightly lower hop utilization because you have a higher preboil gravity. But the reality is that this beer will probably turn out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

LME tends to darken when boiled a long time, so the beer will be a shade or two or three darker than intended. That's about it.

Thanks, I had noticed that it was significantly darker than what I was expecting. I hadn't realized why, though

The only difference you might notice is in the hop utilization. If you put most of the fermentables in firts you'll get a slightly lower hop utilization because you have a higher preboil gravity. But the reality is that this beer will probably turn out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Interesting, I didn't realize that was the case. Thanks for that!

Back