Mixed Fermentation Blending/Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch88

Reaction score
Hi there,

Been following for a long time and couldn't get too much on what I'm looking for so here is my first post.

I've got a 6 gallon batch of Saison that I brewed and split. 5 gallons into stainless brew bucket with WL590 and 1 gallon in carboy with Mad Fermentationist Saison Blend (lacto/brett/sacc). My plan is to ferment them both out then blend together on raspberries and thyme. The raspberries are going to be whole and in low amounts. I'm looking at an SRM around 2.5/3 right now and just want to give a rosè esk colour.

My first question I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a mixed ferment blended with a clean at low ratios? What were the results and do you think this way could fair well for me?

Secondly, how long do you think it would take to ferment out the residual sugars from the clean beer and fruit?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forum!

You basically made a 4 liter starter of the blend and are adding to secondary. Should be fine.
You won't get much (or any?) sourness.

Will probably take 3-12 months to ferment and develop flavor, depending how much of the Brett you want.

Once you achieve your desired flavor and the FG is stable for a couple months, rack onto the raspberries for 2-4 weeks and then package when FG stabilizes.

Welcome to the forum!

You basically made a 4 liter starter of the blend and are adding to secondary. Should be fine.
You won't get much (or any?) sourness.

Will probably take 3-12 months to ferment and develop flavor, depending how much of the Brett you want.

Once you achieve your desired flavor and the FG is stable for a couple months, rack onto the raspberries for 2-4 weeks and then package when FG stabilizes.
Thanks for your quick response and for putting this in the right perspective for me.

I can't believe I didn't look at it as just a starter but that makes sense, and so does the timing.

I've got some more researching to do now!

Cheers

I'm used to the forum rules that say don't ask if you can find it elsewhere. I appreciate it.

I was just looking at the pros and cons of plugging or airlock for storing. Seems it's just a matter of preference. Any insight on this would be helpful.

Also, How far can I push a bottle when I'm ready to age in there?
Do I account for reactivity when priming and pitching or will it solely be the added yeast and sugar doing my carbing?

I've listened to the milk the funk podcast and it was great (not sure if they are doing more), so is the sour hour. But I'm doing something wrong maybe and can't use their site without a code or something.

Again thanks for your help.

I use breathable silicone airlocks, which theoretically let in less oxygen than a liquid-filled airlock but still release pressure.

It's normal to use liquid-filled airlocks if you don't want to spring for the silicone. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure to keep it filled.
Brettanomyces is micro-aerophilic, meaning it likes a small amount of oxygen and develops more flavor with it.

I personally wouldn't use a solid plug because of potential pressure buildup. If it gets pushed out... air gets in.

How far can I push a bottle when I'm ready to age in there?
How long can it age? Years. Brett beers age well.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Aging_and_Storage

Do I account for reactivity when priming and pitching or will it solely be the added yeast and sugar doing my carbing?
I'm not sure what you mean by reactivity.
Bottle prime with a calculated sugar addition as you would for any other beer.
If you add fruit a few weeks before bottling, you won't need to add additional yeast at bottling because they'll already be active and ready to eat.

The yeast metabolize the sugar into ethanol and carbon dioxide as usual.

Cheers

I use breathable silicone airlocks, which theoretically let in less oxygen than a liquid-filled airlock but still release pressure.

It's normal to use liquid-filled airlocks if you don't want to spring for the silicone. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure to keep it filled.
Brettanomyces is micro-aerophilic, meaning it likes a small amount of oxygen and develops more flavor with it.

I personally wouldn't use a solid plug because of potential pressure buildup. If it gets pushed out... air gets in.

How long can it age? Years. Brett beers age well.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Aging_and_Storage

I'm not sure what you mean by reactivity.
Bottle prime with a calculated sugar addition as you would for any other beer.
If you add fruit a few weeks before bottling, you won't need to add additional yeast at bottling because they'll already be active and ready to eat.

The yeast metabolize the sugar into ethanol and carbon dioxide as usual.

Cheers
Thanks for the response.

I'm definitely going to get a breathable stopper, 5 bucks a piece is not bad at all.

Just to clarify I was wondering the typical pressure rating of the bottles. And also, I meant if adding my priming sugar would make my yeast get back to the others they didn't finish. If I'm shooting for 3 volumes should I prime for that or go lower?

Thanks

The "normal" long-neck amber beer bottles can safely hold up to 4 volumes, although 3.5 or lower is safer. Temperature matters; getting hot drastically increases the pressure.

Commercial mixed fermentation beers are frequently packaged in heavier belgian/champagne bottles just in case. I don't think a homebrewer necessarily needs this precaution because you control the storage temperature and can periodically monitor the carbonation level by opening a bottle.

Added priming sugar should not cause further attenuation of the residual dextrins.

:mug:

The "normal" long-neck amber beer bottles can safely hold up to 4 volumes, although 3.5 or lower is safer. Temperature matters; getting hot drastically increases the pressure.

Commercial mixed fermentation beers are frequently packaged in heavier belgian/champagne bottles just in case. I don't think a homebrewer necessarily needs this precaution because you control the storage temperature and can periodically monitor the carbonation level by opening a bottle.

Added priming sugar should not cause further attenuation of the residual dextrins.

:mug:
Awesome. Thanks again.

Cheers

Back