Mixed culture - asteroids!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

botch13

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a small culture that was initially a wild capture from some flowers, it was fairly bland so have added some bruery and orval dregs to it. Few months later it smells fantastic so I fed it some 1.024 wort and it has started shooting up small white, well, mini asteroids from the yeast on the bottom to the top where they hit and fall in a sort of stringy kind of way then back down to the bottom. There is heaps of them constantly going off.. ... Hopefully the video link works. Anyone familiar with this sort of activity?? Cheers

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yut1UywA1XAThYBXLN9tWrdNJ0_sN_WG/view?usp=drivesdk

Nice video :)

The microbes made their way down into the trub/lees layer where there are fermentable sugars. The CO2 produced from fermentation is trapped until the bubble is large enough, breaking through and bringing a bunch of the sediment with it. The string-like trail could be the result of EPS "ropiness" commonly created by Pedio or maybe just sediment sucked into the straight wake of the bubble.

I frequently agitate my mixed starters so I don't normally see it there, but I do see it in my fermenting beer since I use clear fermenters.

If I saw my fermentation doing this, I would watch it for hours. That is so cool. It has to be some CO2 causing the initial burst. But I've got no theory on the ropiness.

Awesome. Thanks for the replies. Makes sense. I did watch it for a fair while! Looked so cool when 5 or so 'go off' together.

Back