Mitch Steele's Ballantine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metronne

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I recently read Mitch Steele's IPA book and LOVED it. Among a bunch of other amazing classic clone recipes, he's got two versions of a Ballantine clone. There's just one problem -- he gives the amounts of the various hops in terms of a percentage of total weight to use, but I couldn't find the actual total weight anywhere.

Has anyone else read this book, or seen recipes spelled out in this way and have insight into how I should calculate hops based on this information? Maybe i am just missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I haven't read the book but does he list the IBU's? If so, you'll just have to use some software and mess around with the hop weights, using his percentages, and hit the right IBU number for your batch size.

He lists calculated IBU's and target starting gravities before fermentation. You should be able to use recipe software to figure it all out based on your efficiency level.

Ohhhhh math. The hard part of brewing (for a humanities person like me), haha ... I'll bone up on estimated efficiency numbers for a super basic system like ours and see what I can figure out! Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did you ever figure this out? Stone's release of the Pale Ale recipe got me talking to a mate about this book and then I found this post.

I asked a similar question a little while back for one of the recipes in the book. My approach was to use Beer Alchemy (I'm a mac guy). I assumed that the percentage of hops given was the number of grams of hops (I'm also not American). Then I just scaled the IBU to give the final IBU of the recipe. Easy. And the beer turned out great too.

Back