Mistake to not repeat....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avidhomebrewer

Reaction score
I was prepping for bottling (Scottish Belhaven, very tasty) tonight. Getting all necessary equipment ready, etc. I put some food grade lubricant on my spigot to make is work better and put all stuff together. Dumped the priming sugar (after boiling) poin the bottling bucket and started the transfer. I then went downstairs to put some brewing stuff away and clean up some other brewing stuff while the transfer went on its way (or so I thought) upstairs. I went up about 5 minutes later and my normally white kitchen floor is a nice shade of brown. I forgot to close the spigot! First time ever doing that in over 10 years of bottling. I had about an hour to think about how good this batch would be after sitting for over 2 months in secondary and possibly aging in the bottle for a few more months. Not to be any more!

Note to self: Check all equipment for 'leaks' before assuming all is well.

Yikes, sorry.

I used a bottling bucket for a primary and left it down in my storage unit. I went to check on it after about four days and there were a lot of fruit flies.

Yeah, there was a slow leak around the spigot. Dumped that batch, never use a bottling bucket as a primary I was told.

~Diz

I never did it, but almost did a couple times. I took a black Sharpie and wrote a big "OFF" with an arrow pointing the direction the valve needs to be on the bucket right above the valve. Haven't had a close call since. Sorry to hear about your loss.
tom

I've done the same thing...and my floors are carpeted. I've started racking over, gone into my bedroom to check the threads on here, and come out to find it flowing. luckily I've never lost more that a gallon before catching it.

I leave my bottling wand connected to my bucket all the time. Keeps this from happening (in fact, the spigot is always on). My spigot spins to get the wand to point down.

PA300051.JPG
P5150002.JPG

I've done it, but never walked away until I knew it was closed. I've lost a little bit, and even that hurts, I can't imagine losing a whole 5 gallons. another stupid thing I usually do is leave the valve open when I put the dispenser on a tap a draft bottle and it starts to flow out.

Latest posts

Back