Misson St Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toga

Reaction score
Yes this is one of those trader joes beers. I Like it!! Anyone have a brown ale extract recipe that is close? Sweet, malty, mild hops, light roasty nutty flavor. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a brown ale recipe I brewed that is in the same ballpark, bit of hops, clean ale yeast, bit of roast etc...

Old Brown Sock

Recipe Specifics (Extract with Steeping Grains)
-----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00
Wort Size (Gal): 2.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.00
Anticipated OG: 1.066
Anticipated SRM: 22.8
Anticipated IBU: 35.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 30 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 min

Grain/Extract
----------------
75.0% - 6.00 lbs. Light DME
12.5% - 1.00 lbs. Amber DME
6.3% - 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt
6.3% - 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L

Hops
------
2.00 oz. Fuggle (Pellet 4.70% AA) @ 60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle (Pellet 4.70% AA) @ 5 min.

Yeast
------
WYeast 1056 American Ale/Chico

Oldsock thanks for the reply. How long did you steep your grains and at what temp? I am assuming 155 ish for 30 min?

I love this beer. It's a great brown ale. I think you want to use an English strain though. Maybe wlp002. The main reason I don't care for SN Tumbler is because of the Chico strain. Clean ale yeast in a low hopped brown is just unexciting to me.

Oldsock thanks for the reply. How long did you steep your grains and at what temp? I am assuming 155 ish for 30 min?

Grains Steeped in 150 degree water for 30 minutes, but anything in that general range would be fine.

You certainly could go with an English strain, not sure I've had Mission St, but a bit more fruit certainly wouldn't hurt (I really like Wyeast 1968 in beers like this).

I am pretty sure all the Mission St. beers are brewed by Firestone Walker for Trader Joe's. I am also pretty sure that wlp002 is their house yeast.

Ok so I have decided to give this one a whirl. I have all the ingredients. I have 3 different yeasts on hand. US05, Nottingham, and S33. I'm leaning to the US05 or nottingham as the s33 is more of a belgian type yeast. If you had to choose notty or US05 which would you pick and why?

Ok so I have decided to give this one a whirl. I have all the ingredients. I have 3 different yeasts on hand. US05, Nottingham, and S33. I'm leaning to the US05 or nottingham as the s33 is more of a belgian type yeast. If you had to choose notty or US05 which would you pick and why?

US-05 because danstar isn't reliable. That's just the facts recently. 05 is a good yeast, just underwhelming for a beer like this. 04 would be the best dry yeast choice, if that's the route you want to go.

I brewed up the old sock. I did make a couple changes. I added .5 oz of fuggles at 10 minutes and .5 oz of Hallertau at flame out in addition to the schedule from the recipe. I pitched in the pack of notty. Thanks for the heads up on the notty jmo88. I have the pack of 05 for back up and will pitch it if I do not see any sign of fermentation within 36 hours.

S-33 is not Belgian, no matter what Fermentis says on their website. I have three brews done with it so far and even the one that fermented around 70F doesn't have any Belgian phenols. I wouldn't hesiatate to use it in an English beer if you wanted lower attenuation (my average for it is around 70%).

S-33 is not Belgian, no matter what Fermentis says on their website. I have three brews done with it so far and even the one that fermented around 70F doesn't have any Belgian phenols. I wouldn't hesiatate to use it in an English beer if you wanted lower attenuation (my average for it is around 70%).

I have used S-33 for a half dozen brews so far. All Belgian style ales. It gives off quite a nice array of esters. At high temps you will get plenty of banana esters. At lower temps it gives off more of a clove like flavor. I found the perfect balance is around 75 degrees.

I have had mixed results with attenuation with the S-33. The fist couple batches i used it in were low however after experimenting with adding yeast nutrient I have been able to get excellent attenuation the last 3 batches. The last batch I brewed bottled of new household favorite started at 1.055 and ended at 1.008 :rockin:

It's a weird yeast for sure. The oatmeal stout I used it in has some bready notes and maybe some dark fruit, but no Belgian funk to speak of (bubblegum, banana, horse blanket, spicy citrus, etc.). It tastes just like any other oatmeal stout: the yeast doesn't throw it off style at all.

My old ale is pretty much the same: clean but bready, but with some abricot and vanilla. But I used plenty of light and dark crystal along with special roast and a lengthy boil, so it's hard to know if it's because of the yeast or the procedure.

A lot of people say it's the Edme strain and to me it doesn't seem very Belgian. I expect a lot more phenols in my Belgian beers, but Unibroue sets the style here in Quebec since it is so ubiquitous, so that might be why. Their beers are very phenolic. Probably if I used Belgian procedures and grist I might change my opinion, but it's versatile. I ferment low and haven't gotten any clove.

jfr1111 The phenols it gives off is quite subtle compared to some of the Belgian strains out there for sure. I bet the S-33 it would work excellent a stout or porter. I may have to give it a try this winter.

The oldsock brown is belching away in the brewing closet. I ended up using the packet of Notty I had on hand. It took off like a rocket.

The old sock brown turned out awesome! Thick, roasty, a little nutty, and a nice creamy head that will not die. Thanks Oldsock. This is one that will be a repeat.

The old sock brown turned out awesome! Thick, roasty, a little nutty, and a nice creamy head that will not die. Thanks Oldsock. This is one that will be a repeat.

Glad it turned out well, I'll have to brew it again some time.

Latest posts

Back