Missing Fruit Wine ingredient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerbob41

Reaction score
hello,
I am brand new to wine making, so I started with a Cornucopia Red Raspberry Pinot Nero wine kit. I am missing the "small bag" and was wondering what it contains. I have the juice concentrate, bentonite, metabisulphite, sorbate, kieselsol and chitosan. Can someone help? thanks.

I would guess yeast, by its absence from your list. It could also be nutrients for the yeast. You'll need these before you begin.

If you are missing the yeast, try to find out the type the kit is supposed to have. Different yeasts can impart different flavors, although any wine yeast will work. The yeast, of course, is the magic that turns sugar water into wine.

If you are missing nutrients or enerizer, you won't need to be as picky about replacing these as with the yeast. However, do get some, as unhealthy yeast make some nasty tasting wine.

Wine kits do not require nutrient, they do, however require yeast. That is what seems to be missing, and its the most importsnt part! There might be a contact number to call in the instructions, they will be wble to get you going.

Thanks for the responses. Sorry, but I forgot to mention the yeast, which I also have. According to the instructions, I don't add the contents of the missing small bag (full of liquid) until after racking once and waiting an additional 3-5 days.

I wonder if the missing bag contains a flavor pack of additional fruit? Perhaps the raspberry. Everything else seems to be there. Don't the instructions mention what you are to add or do they say add bag # X to the carboy?

The instructions describe everything except what is in the small bag. would it make sense to add the flavor pack at the very end?

Probably oak powder or oak chips. Fairly common with red wine kits...

Edit: never mind. Didn't see you say it was liquid.

I am currently making the same brand kit in blackberry. The small bag; as in the same type as the larger juice bag, just smaller is a flavor pack. It adds the flavor and sweetens the wine as advertised, in your case red raspberry.

thanks nozzleman. both you and bernardsmith were correct. in the meantime, i also talked to Paklab Products (supplier of the Cornucopica wine kits) and they stated the same. in fact, they are shipping me the missing flavor bag from my kit.

Paklab are good for that. My kit arrived with a broken stir spoon and they sent out a gift card to cover the replacement.

Back