Missed target OG- is this why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
This morning I brewed the NB Zoomin Pale Ale, which is a 20 minute boil. Pretty cool. Whole process was about 1.5 hours.

The target OG was 1.052, I came out to 1.048

Not complaining, whatever. When the boil was done and I was cleaning up I realize I left about 3/4 cup of the LME in the container. Whoops.

Could this account for me not hitting the target OG?

Thanks

I think so. A Briess data sheet puts LME at 11.78 pounds per gallon. Brewers Friend puts LME at 37 points per pound.

Your 3/4 cup would be 0.55 pounds...which is 20 "points" so if you had a 5 gallon recipe 20/5 = 4 points per gallon left in the can. Pretty darn close to what you did and measured.

Not sure about the exact difference, but leaving out the LME will lower the OG. It is also common to get a bad reading because it is often difficult to get the wort and the top up water (assuming that was done) to fully mix. I would take the remaining LME, mix with a little water, bring to a boil then cool and add it to the fermenter.

That and your accuracy in measuring water volume and hydrometer scales.

If you did a full boil, your boil off rate may have had an impact as well.

Did you end up with exactly X gallons (whatever your kit was designed for) going into the fermenter?

I am not sure that amount of DME is enough to account for your entire amount of lost gravity. (Someone here will) It's more likely a combination of several factors including measurements of water, reading the hydrometer, wort stratification...

Not sure about the exact difference, but leaving out the LME will lower the OG. It is also common to get a bad reading because it is often difficult to get the wort and the top up water (assuming that was done) to fully mix. I would take the remaining LME, mix with a little water, bring to a boil then cool and add it to the fermenter.

+1 if its still bubbling away, or let it ride and have a slightly lower ABV brew. Either way your rockin a homebrew.

Back