missed original gravity by 25 points

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
Made what was supposed to be a dark Belgian strong ale.
12 pounds 2 row
4 pounds wheat
1 pound caramunich
.5 pounds special b.

Did a step mash with 17.75qt to reach 128
Then 14qt to reach 152 but only hit 147
Then sparged with 17qt at 180

Preboil was 1.050 but temp adjusted 1.060

Boiled 60 minutes and added a pound of dark Belgian Candi sugar and took a original gravity and only got to 1.066 but beer Smith said I should have hit 1.090.

Any ideas why I missed so Much.

The wheat. Was it raw wheat? If so, that could explain loosing plenty of gravity pounts.

Do you ever check the "Est Pre-Boil Gravity" on the right hand side of BeerSmith? That could help indicate your efficiency. I know that my sparging techniques are horrible. I hit my temps, but I only get 68% - 70% efficiency because I only sparge once. I don't want to risk extracting tannins. I have found that I can hit my gravity by adjusting my grain bill to incorporate more base malt.

I recently tried a cheap way to fly sparge and I got about 72% efficiency. I put a colander in the mash tun and poured the water from the HLT into the colander to help displace the pressure of the water.

The wheat. Was it raw wheat? If so, that could explain loosing plenty of gravity pounts.

Not sure. 8lbs of the grain bill was 4 Brooklyn brew summer wheat kits and I just assumed this are equal parts 2 row and wheat malt

Your candi sugar might not have been mixed in thoroughly.

I don't think I could have been more thorough with the sugar. It went in at 30 min and I put it in a little at a time and stirred like mad

Do you ever check the "Est Pre-Boil Gravity" on the right hand side of BeerSmith? That could help indicate your efficiency. I know that my sparging techniques are horrible. I hit my temps, but I only get 68% - 70% efficiency because I only sparge once. I don't want to risk extracting tannins. I have found that I can hit my gravity by adjusting my grain bill to incorporate more base malt.

I recently tried a cheap way to fly sparge and I got about 72% efficiency. I put a colander in the mash tun and poured the water from the HLT into the colander to help displace the pressure of the water.

In every other beer I've made I've been around 80 percent efficiency. When I sparge I use my home made sprinkler style sparge arm and usually take about 30 minutes to fly sparge

Back