Missed my target OG? What could've been the cause?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoRock40

Reaction score
I was attempting my second ever batch, a white ipa and completely missed my target OG of 1.074 (created using the BeerAlchemy app). I ended up at 1.046. My recipe is below;

Partial Mash (152* F for 60 min)
4.5 lbs 2-row
2 lbs flaked wheat
In 3.25 gallons water

I added 3.3 lbs LME Briess Pilsner and 3.3 lbs LME Briess Bavarian Wheat prior to starting the boil.
Brought volume up to 3.5 gallons

1 oz Galaxy 60 min
1 oz Galaxy 40 min
.5 oz Citra 20 min
1 oz Amarillo 15 min
2 oz orange peel 5 min
1 oz coriander seeds 5 min

Added water to get to 5.5 gallons. Pitched rehydrated safale 33 belgian yeast.

What could have caused the big miss in OG? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Could be the extract, partial mash volume, and the top off water were not well mixed in the fermentor when you drew your sample.

Thanks for the quick reply. If that's the case does that mean I am actually closer to my target I just took a diluted sample due to not mixing well enough after adding water?

I don't recall mixing real well at all. Just adding the water and a quick stir.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply. If that's the case does that mean I am actually closer to my target I just took a diluted sample due to not mixing well enough after adding water?

I don't recall mixing real well at all. Just adding the water and a quick stir.

Thanks!

Yes, the area of your sample was probably mostly top off water. The yeast will finish mixing the wort when fermentation begins.
My calcs say no less than 1.065. Mash efficiency can sometimes be lower than expected.

Glad I could help. I should mention that dry yeast, in a average wort may not need oxygen, but it doesn't do any damage to aerate, higher OG beers do benefit from aeration.
Future brews you could splash your wort into the fermentor, and the top off water can be aerated in a manageable bucket before pouring.
Oxygen tank with an aeration stone is the Cadillac of aeration methods.

Was the wort at pitching/room temp when you measured its specific gravity? Sometimes the paper inside a hydrometer can be way off.

The recipe sounds pretty good regardless, I've had plenty of success with safe ales dry yeasts in the past. I'd let it worm right up myself for to get the fruit and spice from the yeast. Even at 1046, you'll end up with a nice fruity light belgi-APA.

As far as thoughts on the original low gravity of the mash theres quite a bit you could do to work on that in the future. Are you using any software? Often with a partial mash, I'll take a sample of the wort before adding additional sugar in to graduated cylinder, cool it to room temp and measure the density with the hydrometer, thats how you'll hone in on your mash efficiency. I apologize ahead if any of this is too basic, but mash efficiency can be dramatically increased by a more thorough cracking of the malt as well as simple or complex water additions to ensure a mash pH of say 5.2-5.7.

Sounds like a nice beer, let us know how it ferments.

Latest posts

Back