Misquoting Noonan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
I've said a few times over the past week or so that Noonan says to lager for "2 weeks for every 8 points OG"

well, that's wrong. the real quote is:

Noonan said:
Dextrinous beer from a decoction mash should undergo a secondary fermentation and lagering period of seven to twelve days at 33 to 34 degrees F for each 2 Plato (1.008 SG) of cooled-wort hydrometer reading (OG). Lighter beer, lacking dextrins, is usually held for only three to seven days for each 2 Plato of wort density. Very strong, kraeusened beer, on the other hand, may be lagered for six to eight months before it is bottled.

my bad

I've had good luck on the low end of that quote. It's not like I make dextrin rich lagers. That sound more like bocks. My Pilsners come to age in short lager times. The Dunkel I have now is taking longer. I got to get that book.

I always say "lager until it tastes good instead of following arbitrary metrics".

But maybe I am just crazy that way.

Back