Mint Chocolate Porter Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speers41

Reaction score
So I brewed up a mint chocolate porter a few weeks ago and I've run into the problem that its a bit too bitter. I'm guessing its a combo of the mint and chocolate malt thats causing this. Was thinking about adding some form of actual chocolate to add some sweetness and mellow out the bitterness. Any thoughts on how effective this would be and/or what type of chocolate to use?

-Zach

i don't think that will work out that way, the chocolate is not going to make the bitterness go away but it will probably kill your beer foam if that matters to you. you could set it aside for a few weeks then taste it again to see if the bitterness has mellowed.

The Mint bitterness might mellow after a month or so, and some hop bitterness will go away with time, especially if stored in bottles. You could consider adding Lactose for some sweetness (although it is not particularly sweet) to make a Mint Milk-Chocolate Porter.

Latest posts

Back