minimum level of microscope needed for "yeast lab"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramonallones

Reaction score
wanted to start learning and playing around with yeast and wanted to see any recommendations and options for microscopes. And what are minimum levels/cost suggested.

not sure if you need a $150 microscope or a $2,000 one.

TIA for any advice

Better microscopes are going to get you better resolution for counting cells. Buy what you can afford.

thanks for the help. was wondering whats the mimimum magnification needed, and brand/price, just to use as a baseline for my decision. Thanks.

I'm looking at these. 1000X for the ability to discern bacteria, though 400X is fine for yeast work. Binocular. Lots would fit this bill. A lot has to do with the quality of the optics, condenser type, general construction, other things which you can find out if digging around. American Science and Surplus used to offer excellent Russian-made, don't know if they still do. Our university has a "Swap" thing, lots of scientific surplus on sale, don't know if you have something like that by you. Good luck.

You'll want a model that has 10x and 40X objectives at least, 20x objectives are handy but not as needed. They will probably come with a 4x and that is fine. Useful for finding the target on the slide. That will get you comfortable magnification to do cell counts. If later you decide that you want the 100x oil immersion objective, you can buy those afterwards. They screw into the nose piece.

The eyepiece shouldn't have a magnification more than 10X. Cheaper models often try to compensate for crappy objective lens by using stronger eyepieces and the quality suffers (blurry, distorted).

At work, I've been using amscope microscopes. They are not top of the line but have been working well for the last three years. This one is on sale and would suit your needs.
http://www.amscope.com/compound-mic...e-with-3-d-double-layer-mechanical-stage.html

There are some that have the magnification levels needed, but my experience with the digital scopes, like dino-lite or pro-scope, was not great. The magnification was changed on a dial on the side, and focus was by moving the flexible arm up and down. It appears that there are several models that now have rigid stands with a rack and pinion style focus. Those would probably be okay.

For yeast counting and staining, the issue is that most look like they are setup for incidental light (coming from the side or above, same side as lens). Traditionally, microbiology microscopes used transmitted light (light passing through the subject/ slide). Unless I'm mistaken, a microscope in a brewing lab is for checking cell counts and viability by staining. Both usually on a slide, so the incidental light may cause a glare. Plus then a computer has to be near the wet lab.

My suggestion is for less than the cost of most brewers' rigs to purchase a laboratory grade microscope. Unless you want to take photos of the slides, a digital scope/ camera won't be of much use.

wanted to start learning and playing around with yeast and wanted to see any recommendations and options for microscopes. And what are minimum levels/cost suggested.

not sure if you need a $150 microscope or a $2,000 one.

TIA for any advice
I bought one for about $150 from a medical supply outfit (not a toy store). It shows yeasts cells and infectuous stuff as clear as crystal.

Back